Social Development International (SODEIT)
Social Development International (SODEIT) was founded in December 2005 and established in October 2006 in Cameroon and registered in New Jersey, USA in September 2011 and applied for 501C (3) tax exemption status in October 2011(awaiting status). We are a small yet highly motivated passionate International local based not for profit, non governmental, charity organisation that provides education, health, advocacy and charity for the poor and underprivileged people and communities.
SODEIT is a volunteer driven Organisation based in Cameroon. It is staffed by dedicated volunteers and sustained financially by individuals, organizations and foundations who support its mission. It aims to improve opportunities for children, adolescent and caregivers in risky and vulnerable situations through better education, training, health, advocacy, charity, participatory development and good governance.
Our work is based on a collective commitment to support the principles of the United Nations Global Compact, Earth Charter International, United Nations Economic and Social Council and other partners to fulfill Sustainable Social Development and Economic Growth Goals. We therefore have an integrated approach to sustainable community development in all its forms.
This means that our projects not only aim to lift people and community out of poverty but also to:
- Promote education and reduce illiteracy;
- Build the capacity of the underprivileged to fight the threat of poverty through the provision of Micro-Finance, Micro Entrepreneurship, Vocational Training and Capacity Building;
- Fight the spread of diseases by educating and sensitizing communities and policy makers on nutrition, health issues and challenges such as neglected tropical disease;
- Promote citizen led monitoring and advocacy ensuring basic needs are provided;
- Help eradicate all forms of harsh treatment to man and humanity (trafficking and smuggling in person and child labour ) and;
- Promote participatory good governance and community development, peace and advocacy;
- Community environmental education and sustainable environmental management practices etc.
SDI is a member of:
- United Nations Economic and Social Council with Special Consultative Status – USA ;
- United Nations Volunteers – Germany;
- Coalition International Criminal Court – USA and Netherlands;
- United Nations Global Compact – USA;
- Global Giving Community- USA;
- Omprakash Community – USA;
- StopTB Partnership/ WHO – Switzerland;
- World Federalist Movement-Institute of Global Policy – USA (In Progress);
- Global Natural Fibre Forum
- Africa and Cameroon Natural Fibre Forums
As an international local based charity organization, we support poor, risky, vulnerable and underprivileged children, adolescents, caregivers, refugees, IDPs and forgotten communities with education, health, advocacy, and charity. We work with local groups and individuals that are out of the scope of main humanitarian aid and support communities that otherwise would get little or no support. The community members of our projects work with us to establish their most urgent needs. They are agent of change that strives for quality of wellbeing, independence and stability; we simple support their quest for a brighter future by providing education, training, health, advocacy and charity.